Tuesday 5 February 2013

Cow-slip? Or Cow's Lip? Now I know...

...or at least I think I do.

This has always bothered me - is it cow-slip, or is it cow's - lip: no-one has ever been able to tell me. They all just say cowzzlip and leave it at that.

But I have an enquiring mind.

Today I have been researching the humble Primrose, Primula vulgaris, and you know how it is with researching on the internet, you get distracted by all sorts of side issues.  It's wonderful, in so many ways, and I so envy those lucky souls who have managed to find a way to be paid to be botanists and NOT have to write reports, show results, etc. The ones who can just "do research" and maybe publish a paper now and again. Lucky beasts... grrr.... also to a lesser extent I envy those who are retired and can do what they want with their time - although of course if I just wait around long enough, my time will also come.

Perhaps.

Anyway, today I was not able to work due to the weather, so I chained myself to the computer and while looking at Primroses,  I was slightly detoured onto the Cowslip, Primula veris, and this is what good old Wikipedia has to say:




Well, that answers that question. It's cow-slip. Good to know!

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....