Monday 3 March 2014

Whoops! There goes another tree.

It's been a winter for trees falling over - so many storms, so much water. Trees can only take so much, and then they snap - literally!

Last week I arrived at work to find that one of the old Plum trees in the meadow had snapped right off, about 10' up:


So where was the top of it? Answer, lying on the ground:


"Oh dear," said my Client, "what shall we do with it?"  Knowing that she loves sculpture and used to have several dead tree trunks lying around the meadow, I made the obvious suggestion that we should chop off the small branches, and keep the main thing as a living/decaying piece.

Half an hour, with my trusty bow saw, later:


It's the Tarantula of Doom!

The amount of smaller brushwood that came off was astonishing, I made three heaps of it, each easily as big as the current bonfire heap - here's one of them (right).

We agreed it would be better to get the bonfire heap burned off first, then move these piles across, otherwise it would make a huge wobbly heap, which might be a little intimidating for the Client's husband, who loves to do the bonfires, but who is always concerned that if it's too big, it might get out of control.

I expect that I'll be asked to reduce the Tarantula in size once we've had a chance to assess it: at present it's a little too big and sprawling, so I anticipate a fair amount of "fettling",  to get it into shape.

Although I do think the Tarantula is quite amusing!

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....