Monday 1 September 2014

Why Couch Grass is also called Spear Grass

Ever heard that alternative name?

Here's why:

No, your eyes do not deceive you, that's a length of couch grass growing straight through a daffodil bulb.
As you can see, in one side out the other.



And here's another one: this time, it's a Grape Hyacinth bulb which has been pierced by a piece of couch grass.

This one is partcularly amusing to me, as it represents a battle between two of my foes - the couch grass going clean through a root of bindweed.

One of those odd situations where you can't cheer for either side!

Isn't nature wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....