Sunday 24 May 2015

Baby birds in the shrubbery.

Yes, it's nesting season, and I was clipping the lawn edges around the shrubbery the other day, when I distinctly heard the sound of little birds cheeping - but it was coming from close in front of me.

Two minutes of panther-like stalking around the shrubbery and I had located the nest: inside a garden sculpture!

There it is, "Dior", surrounded by Peonies and other shrubs, and emitting shrill cheeping sounds.

The parent birds - Great Tits - were shuttling to and fro while I worked my way along the border, and each visit was accompanied by hungry cheeping.

Here is a short video - you will need your sound turned up to hear them cheeping. I wasn't able to get a video of the adults because, as I hope you appreciate,  I was working at the time, so I couldn't take the time to stand there and wait for them. But they were in and out every couple of minutes, non-stop.


I have no idea why they have not been flooded out, as the sculpture is open at the top, and it has rained quite heavily in the last few days.

Hopefully, they will survive!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....